The wheel. The steam engine. The internet.
These inventions were all important moments in American history that still have a strong impact today. While today’s dealerships spend thousands of dollars every month trying to reach people who are shopping for vehicles online, many ignore their most profitable area—the service and parts departments.
How big is the automotive parts and service market? $340 billion annually! Today, dealerships only capture about 30 percent of this revenue. The other 70 percent is going to non-dealers, like Meineke and Jiffy Lube. A statistic from NADA says, “Less than 3 percent of any dealership’s website contains service content.” That’s why I call this The Golden Opportunity!
So how do dealers get this revenue back as well as position themselves as superior in the market? The answer is a dedicated service website for their dealership.
With a dedicated service website, you can give your service department the look and feel it deserves while helping your dealership show up in online searches for the services you offer. Why should a “quick lube shop” get the service business of your customer? The answer is that it shouldn’t, but its website content makes it show up first in searches.
The truth is that the manufacturer-trained technicians with OEM-stocked parts are the better choice to work on the customer’s vehicle, but this is not discussed nearly enough. Also, dealerships are not enticing their customers with specials on routine maintenance, like the “quick lube shops” are. Many customers assume the oil change at the dealership is overpriced and not worth the call, plus they would probably only see the word “oil change” once, if at all, on the dealership’s main website, without any real reason given to go there for the service. Not to mention, dealership amenities for service customers—gourmet coffee, kids’ area, luxurious lounges, loaner cars, and snacks—are a far cry from the “quick lube shop” experience, but how often are they discussed?
These superior amenities, specials, services, and parts are front and center on the dedicated service websites from Drive Service Sites (www.driveservicesites.com), as is the ease of scheduling an appointment and the call to action to do so. All this in a customized design that considers the mobile experience first that ranks organically and positions the dealership to flood page one with key words to increase SEO. I suggest that dealers use an incognito window to google their own brand, plus location and various routine maintenance services (Target City + Brand + Service). If I were them, I would want to use as many key words as possible on page one of their site, because it’s full of gold.
The Golden Opportunity is here.
It’s time for dealers to dominate the market for service business by allocating a portion of their dealership marketing budget to digital fixed ops marketing—and start winning back parts and service customers with a focused strategy.
Latest posts by Owen Moon (see all)
- Today’s Golden Opportunity: Dedicated Service Websites - January 11, 2018